Saturday, March 04, 2006

BE

Ps 46:10
"Be still, and know that I am God! I am exalted among the nations, I am exalted in the earth." (NRSV)

In the beginning is the Word. God gives us this Word in a cosmic act of creation, in the cosmic gift of his son, and finally in a cosmic act of the spirit. Through the spirit God amazingly trusts us humans to be vessels containing this wonderful and mysterious good news Word. God trusts us and honors us to communicate this good news Word just by our very being in and amongst the world.

Prayer:

Be still and know that I am God
Be still and know that I am
Be still and know

Be still
Be

I the midst of my own busy world, in the midst of both my personal great joys and great pains, life’s mountain peaks and the desserts I daily repeat this prayer. It is a simple prayer adapted from Ps 46:10 with the origin unknown, but introduced to me through Father Richard Rohr’s writings. For me God speaks loudest in stillness and the unexpected simplicity of being. God’s loving eyes stay with me even when I find my own gaze directed unintentionally, sometimes intentionally, away, or sometimes way too inward. Somehow as I pray this prayer I sense, I trust, I believe, I know, that God is. All my doubts cease. It is by my very being that God’s love and grace reach out in ways that I may never understand.

No comments: