Thursday, January 05, 2006

525,600 minutues 2006

If I pause on a run it is here to reflect.

What’s the scorecard? I ask this question when coaching church leaders. In other words, how do we measure success? Answers are often not well thought through and come from past assumptions, clichés, old patterns and someone else’s “should” list.

From the Musical Rent “Seasons of Love” (Lyrics below) are some powerful questions. The words kept echoing through my mind as a ran this morning, some that seem too real, too close.

How will I measure 2006? What will be my score card? -how many trainings I can do? -making budget? -how many places I can travel? (this always seems to impress people) -writing several new resources? –books read –maybe a hiking or canoeing adventures? –maybe I will run a marathon?

But, I suspect the measure of this year is changing in a story that never ends, which means for me I can’t predict or know all the endings. Still, I find myself wanting to know something about these stories. So I try to know and live by believing, wishing, hoping, feeling, trusting, and finding the faith to “walk-on,” as my own scorecard measurements.

The word that keeps coming back to me from different directions is “BE.” Maybe my measurement for 2006 is in the “being” – being myself, being present, being with, being a friend, being… Dave Bucher taught me the phrase years ago… “We are not human doings. We are human beings.” Maybe being is measured in the many ways and seasons of love?

Song Lyrics from Musical Rent: Seasons Of Love

525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year? In daylights, in sunsets, in midnights, in cups of coffee. In inches, in miles, in laughter, in strife. In 525,600 minutes - how do you measure a year in the life?

How about love? How about love? How about love? Measure in love. Seasons of love.

525,600 minutes! 525,000 journeys to plan. 525,600 minutes - how can you measure the life of a woman or man?

In truths that she learned, or in times that he cried. In bridges he burned, or the way that she died.

It’s time now to sing out, tho the story never ends let's celebrate remember a year in the life of friends. Remember the love! Remember the love! Remember the love! Measure in love. Seasons of love! Seasons of love.


No comments: